New 2nd Floor Exhibits Take Guests on the Journey From the Building’s Construction to Its Place in Pop Culture Today
Featuring brand new immersive and interactive exhibits, the reimagined Empire State Building Galleries bring travelers through time on their way to one-of-a-kind views from the 86th Floor Observatory.
- The Site in the 1920s: Through building surveyors, Guests can look in and see the New York City streets of the late 1920s come to life in full color.
- Construction: Be transported back in time as hot rivets, and steel beams fly overhead, and the sounds of New York City come alive in surround sound. Visitors can also interact with specially commissioned cast sculptures of construction workers as they work and take their lunch break.
- Modern Marvel: The Modern Marvel exhibit outlines the specific measures taken to make the Empire State Building a world leader in sustainability and a leading example in energy efficiency.
- Otis Elevators: Walk through a stimulation of an actual elevator shaft in this dedicated exhibit from Otis Elevators showcasing not only how the original elevators operated, but learning about the latest technology installed in the newest elevators, which transport more than 10 million tenants and Observatory Guests each year.
- Urban Campus: Urban Campus offers a glimpse into some of the major tenant spaces, amenities, and hidden views of the building as experienced by those who work there.
- World’s Most Famous Building: More than seventy screens display highlights of ESB’s starring role in pop culture from every decade since the 1930s.
- King Kong: Walk into an office from the 1930s where the famous, giant ape’s fingers pierce the walls as he dangles from the building and dodges vintage fighter planes. Those brave enough can even step into Kong’s hands – but beware, you might feel the power of this fearsome ape firsthand!
- Celebrity: This exhibit highlights some of the most-famous visitors (athletes, musicians, actors) with their images and signed memorabilia adorning the walls for Guests to admire